Thursday, September 24, 2009

Polycom CX5000

Today I was called to a customer, who had some problems with their Roundtable device.

They complained about bad sound and video switching between different pictures…

It was a brand new Polycom CX5000 Roundtable device from May 2009, but still my first thought was hardware error, so I tried the device on my laptop, but without any problems…

Looking closer on the their desktop, I noticed that the Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 client detected the CX5000 device as a standard USB webcam, and not as a Roundtable device. This pointed me in the driver’s direction, but a CX5000 is OCS Compliant, meaning no drivers needed…

The customer used Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 client version 8.0.6362.0, so maybe this client was to old, or at least the driver installed with this version was too old.

I checked the CX5000 datasheet on polycom.com, and there is a note about the Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 client must be version 8.0.6362.128 or later to support this device.

So after an update to the newest version of Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 client, everything worked as expected.

Lesson learned; always use the latest Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 client and Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 Conferencing Add-in for Microsoft Office Outlook, to avoid problems…

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much!

    I was experiencing a similar problem:
    Using a Polycom CX5000 and within Live Meeting I couldn't get the Panorama Video window to work (The message was "No one is sharing Panorama Video") and in the Audio & Video window, the Video was rotating like crazy.(It displayed the video from every one of the five roundtable cameras for less than 1/3 of a second; the effect was like the camera was rotating!...)
    After reading your post I upgradeed to the latest LM client (8.0.6362.191) and everything workd like a charm!

    Once again, thanks a lot
    Dimitris
    Athens, Greece

    ReplyDelete